You can start Tuk Tuk Hop from any meeting points. Yet, to get the full traveling experience, we recommend that you take Chao Phraya Tourist Boat or Express Boat to start your journey.
Since rivers/canals were the backbone of transportation system when Bangkok was built, you will see many historical landmarks/buildings along this mighty Chao Phraya river.
The easiest way is to take BTS to Saphan Taksin station, then walk down to Sathorn pier, where you can take the boat to connect with our Tuk Tuk Hop either at
- Tha Maharaj (accessible via tourist boat), which is the location of our sales office and meeting point #2
- Pier #9 (accessible via normal boat), Tha Chang and walk to the Grand Palace (close to our meeting point #1)
- Pier #8, Tha Tien and walk to Wat Pho (close to our meeting point #3)
Price, Payment, and Travel time of the boat
At least, there are three types of boat service that you can use
- Normal boat (orange flag): fixed price, 14 baht/trip, buy ticket at Sathorn pier/on the boat
- Tourist boat (blue flag): fixed price, 40 baht/trip, with English speaking guided tour, buy ticket at Sathorn pier/on the boat
- All day pass: 150 baht/day, buy ticket at Sathorn pier
You can take whatever comes first, but the tourist boat offers tour guide which is very useful.
It will take ~20-30 mins (depends on which boat you take) to get from Thak Sin to Tha Chang/Tha Maharaj. In general, I don’t have to wait more than 10 mins for a boat.
Fun facts along the river
Fun fact #1: Amazing view from the boat
Spot these incredible views, which can only be seen from the river
Fun fact #2: Boat docking
It is amazing to see the coordination between driver and the whistler. The docking process is fast and effective.
For engineering geeks, see how the whistler jump out to hook the rope to a post. How they use the reverse thrust and the hooking position to create a stable system.
Fun fact #3: Tugboat
Look out for tugboats that still use Chao Phraya river as a transportation route. Checkout below pictures, comparing between unloaded and loaded vessels.